May 30, 2010

Cold Blood (2010)

The second two parter of this series sees the Doctor try and prevent a war between the Silurians and the Humans. Oh and by the way regardless of the several names that they seemed to have for me as a long term fan I will always call them Silurians. The problem with bringing back monsters from the past is that there is a fine balance to find between pandering to older fans and not alienating newer fans who probably wont have watched ‘The Silurians’ and ‘Warriors of the Deep’. The balance was found when the Doctor pointed out that he had met their kind before but the human wiped them out. Explaining the end of ‘The Silurians’ where the Brigadier wiped them out. There was a moment where they were

The most obvious thing from the previous episode is that either Rory, Tony or Ambrose would kill Alaya. The way that it happened was quite dramatic and I thought that whilst Ambrose probably didn’t intend to actually harm Alaya she was quite glad when she did. There was the thought in my head where I thought that this was going to be the catalyst to start a war between the Silurians and the humans. What was quite a refreshing change is that it didn’t spark this war but it came mighty close and that was entertaining.

Matt Smith and Karen Gillan were much stronger in this episode than the last. Gillan in particular was on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. I thought that she played the bit where she forgot about Rory seemed quite strange. I’m so use to her being besotted with Rory that to just blank him out was quite odd. I never thought I would say this but I was quite sad to see the character of Rory go. To be honest in the Eleventh Hour I found him irritating but since he came to travel in the TARDIS he has been one of the revelations of this story. Stephen Moore (Malohkeh) and Richard Hope (Eldane) were two names/voices that I recognised and their characters were likeable and very strong characters. There was the brief thought that I had was that he was going to join Restac and be involved in the war.

There were quite a lot of things I didn’t like in this story. I’m not totally sold on the look of the Silurians. I thought the mask with the massive black eyes were quite sinister but they were too far removed from the classic version. Yet again Steven Moffatt has an opportunity to update a classic monster (like the Daleks) and he has messed it up. They looked too human for my liking. I didn’t quite understand what the whole point of seeing Rory and Amy on the other side. Also where were the other villagers. Apart from the characters that we saw in this story there wasn’t a single human wandering around or getting involved asking why it was going dark in the middle of the day.

The ‘crack in the wall’ story arc returned in this story. The Doctor quite bravely puts his hand in the crack and one of the last shots was what the Doctor had pulled out of the crack and it was the top of the ‘call police’ sign on the TARDIS door. I just went NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO you cant leave it there. So this story whilst it wasn’t perfect and there were some fundamental flaws with this story (Chibnall should stick to doing Law and Order UK) at the end of the day the story was a welcome return for the Silurians but it will be remembered for the sad death of Rory.

No comments:

Post a Comment