May 16, 2010

The Catalyst (2008)

When I first reviewed this story back in January 2008, I was rather unkind to it. This is how I described it then.

“The main problem with this story is that I had a bit of difficulty in understanding what the actual point of the story was. I was still wandering that at the end of the story which is never good. I thought that the story was going well for the first 15 or 20 minutes and then my interest seemed to disappear.

Overall this story was ok but nothing special”

With the pending release of The Time Vampire which makes it a Trilogy of adventures for Leela I decided to re-review this story. The story starts off with Leela who is also known as Prisoner 270-G. She is in the last moments of her life and she tells of a story. The reason why the Doctor and Leela are in their present adventure is that the Doctor is trying to teach Leela how to be more ladylike which is something that the Fourth Doctor seemed to spend most of his time with Leela doing. The Doctor and Leela are at the home of Lord Joshua Douglas and what looks like a bland dinner soon turns into darkness.

The house is hiding a secret. The Doctor has imprisoned an alien called H’mbrackle who is an officer of the Z’nai who are a noble race of warriors but he was the last of his race. By the end of the first episode two characters had been killed off and the thing that surprised me was how much of an effect it had because especially Jessica who was quite an annoying character but that made her death even more sad. H’mbrackle wanted the Doctor to help him restore the power of the Z’nai but the Doctor knew that he would have to sacrifice his being to do this and this is what led him to imprison H’mbrackle.

Louise Jameson is better when she’s telling the story than when she’s being Leela. I’m not a massive Leela fan but when as I was listening to this again I could understand why people liked her. I also thought that Timothy Watson was very good H’brackle and his voice was well suited to the tone of the character. Nigel Fairs has written a very good story that has just the right amount of drama and some very strong characters. He is also responsible for the music and sound design and that shows as everything is on sync to provide possibly the best story of the second series.

One of the problems I had when I originally reviewed the story was that it was difficult to follow. Well I cant really recall why I said this. From what I heard this story was quite straight forward. I must have been having an off day. I’m going to amend my the final line from my original review.

Overall this story is very good and is something special.

No comments:

Post a Comment