September 06, 2015

Prisoners of the Lake (2015)

The Third Doctor Adventures is a boxset which on the face of it has one main selling feature. Tim Treloar would be playing the Doctor. Not just pretending to be him but actually be him. We all know that Frazer Hines can do a great Patrick Troughton impression but we all know that its just an impression and Treloar’s task isn’t just to be the lead in this boxset but also make the listener believe that this is the third Doctor. The idea of recasting the Doctors is something that is somewhat of a controversial finish but if you want the likes of Katy Manning or Frazer Hines or William Russell having full cast adventures then Big Finish need to take the bull by the horns and look for someone that people can accept as being a version of that Doctor. No one is ever going to replace William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton or Jon Pertwee but if you can get the right person then I think that goes someway to please everyone.

Before I get to the meat of this review which is the story itself, let’s talk about Treloar in particular and I have to applaud him for his performance. When I first heard him talk as the narrator I thought that this wasn’t a good impression but then I realised he was just narrating and when he starts as the Doctor then I realised how good he was. It wasn’t that he sounds like Jon Pertwee but the way that he spoke and the delivery of the lines made it seem like it was the Third Doctor. From that point on I was totally sold on this release and could stop worrying about Treloar and just enjoy the story. Katy Manning was really good as Jo and when Jo and the Doctor were talking I could believe that it was as good as on TV and that is also another reason why Treloar was good. Richard Franklin was also good as Yates but he was sort of pushed to the side as the story and Treloar took centre stage.
The thing about this story which was written by Justin Richards is that it felt very familiar. At several points I thought that this story owed a debt to Doctor Who and the Silurians because this story involves the Doctor encountering a new race and the possibility of it being blown up which would annoy the Doctor. There is a bit where the Doctor is going underwater in a diving bell which is similar to The Sea Devils and then then there is a stone spaceship which is similar to The Daemons. It’s like Justin Richards is writing a greatest hits of the Pertwee era which isn’t a bad thing and whilst I listened to this story and thought of which stories were being referenced I just found myself completely immersed in the story. I like how it has a base under siege

It was well told and Justin Richards is one of my favourite writers largely because of his work on the Jago and Litefoot series and he doesn’t disappoint with this story that had an awful lot riding on it. You couldn’t do a story that really tested the audience in terms of intelligence so I think that they chose wisely with this story because it allows the listener to get use to Treloar as the lead. Nicholas Briggs also deserves some credit because he is a reliable director and knows how to keep things moving along at just the right pace and he works his magic in this story.
This story is pretty much a nuts and bolts story because it does everything that you would expect from a traditional Doctor Who story and allows the listener to enjoy listening to what is going on. Anyone who is a fan of the Pertwee era should give this a listen because its really a good story with a good plot, great performances and more importantly, it feels like a story from that period of time and that is something that the Companion Chronicles or The Lost Stories could never achieve no matter who the writer was. I go into the second story with a lot more optimism than I had when I started this story and that’s because I didn’t know what to expect from this series and now I do. Well done to everyone involve.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment