February 03, 2015

The English Way of Death (2015)

The second of the Gareth Roberts novelisations is one that I haven’t read before. The story sees the Doctor and Romana arrive in 1930’s London where for some reason the Doctor decides that he wants to return some library books. Of course this being a Doctor Who story things don’t go smoothly and its usually a question of how long it would take the Doctor to get into trouble.

Setting this story in the 1930’s means that we are going to get a plethora of posh speaking characters which is quite amusing but after a few minutes, things need to develop and thankfully things do. The threat of this story is a gaseous villain called Zodaal. Despite being a visual idea, its one that works very well and Big Finish have a good track record of making normally visual villains work on audio. Zodaal wants to possess humans just so that they can eat brains. The lengths some people will go to to get a new body. Despite a good start, I have to admit that the story did start to drift away a bit. I don’t know what it was but I thought that The Romance of Crime was the stronger story.
There were some good moments in this story. One of the more memorable ones included K9 being possessed. I know that in the past I have been quite hard on K9 but I cant say that this wasn’t a good use of the character.

Like the previous story, I thought that Tom Baker and Lalla Ward were superb and actually this was a better story for Romana than Romance. There were times that Lalla Ward was talking and I thought that I was listening to a Gallifrey story because she gave that sort of intensity to the performance. Like in the previous story, there was a performance which I thought stood out and that was Terence Hardiman’s performance as Stackhouse. Now I remember him and will always remember him as the titular character in the Demon Headmaster. It’s a performance that is as good as Miranda Raison’s Margo and Xais.
Jamie Robertson deserves some credit for creating a very atmospheric atmosphere and a world that sounds real and somewhere that I would want to spend some time in. Just without the zombie inducing gas. Robertson won a Tomstardis Awards for his work on The Silver Turk which is another historical story so it shouldn’t come as much of a surprise that he was done well creating such a convincing world. I don’t give the covers much time during my reviews but I think that Tom Webster has created another striking cover and its better than the one for Romance which is a cover that I really liked.

John Dorney has done a very good job of adapting these two stories and unlike previous novelisations such as Love and War, I didn’t find myself wishing the end would come and even though I thought the second half of this story wasn’t as strong as the first. It wasn’t terrible by any means. Nicholas Briggs has directed this story with the same usual amount of energy and its when the writing and directing come together that we have something that is enjoyable to listen to.
Whilst it wasn’t the better of the two stories, I thought that this was a good release and at least complimented the previous story well and I thought that it was well worth the £25 that I paid for the downloaded version. There is another Gareth Roberts novelisation coming this year so I hope that it manages to keep up to the standard these two have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment