May 25, 2014

Last of the Colophon (2014)

I knew that this was going to be a story that wasn’t going to be as good as ‘The Evil One’. That’s purely because I thought that it would be the best story of the series and if this did manage to beat that then it would have to be a cracker. This story was written by Jonathan Morris who won several Tomstardis Awards in 2013.The story sees the Doctor and Leela arrive on the planet Colophos which on first inspection seems to be. The story is playing with the idea of the Invisible Man and seems like the sort of story that would have featured during the Philip Hinchcliffe era. The involvement of Morax is one that develops over the story when Morax is covered in bandages and at the right point the truth is revealed.

Gareth Thomas returns to the Doctor Who world as Morax and Thomas is brilliant in every single story he appears in and this is no different. Jane Goddard also returns as Nurse Torvik and she is also one fine form. The other supporting characters were all standard but I didn’t find them as interesting as Morax or Torvik. As far as the central performances are concerned, I thought that Louise Jameson was on her usual fine form but after the peak of the previous story, here she seems to return to her usual self which isn’t a bad thing. Tom Baker seems to just stroll through this and there did seem a moment when one of Tom Baker’s famous suggestions seems to have made it in when he’s talking about a signal to show someone its him and how its repeated seems to be his idea. I may be wrong but that is what it seems like to me.
The main problem with this story is that as much as I wanted to love this story, it just didn’t quite connect with me. It’s not a terrible story by any means but compared to other Morris scripts, its not one of his best. I think that this is a story that other people will like because the setting and what it deals with isn’t something that I am wild about and those tend to be the ones that people rave about. I suppose only time will tell but I think that ‘The Evil One’ remains the best story of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment