March 03, 2014

The Sleeping City (2014)

The first companion chronicle story of 2014 sees William Russell return to the range. The story was written by Ian Potter who wrote ‘The Revenants’ and I liked that story so I had high hopes for this story, especially as I enjoyed ‘The Library of Alexandria’. I’ll be honest and thought that Maureen O’Brien was going to appear in the story as Vicki appears on the cover as normally the people involved appear on the cover. I know that’s not always the case but in my brain it makes sense.

The story sees Ian back in his own time being accused of being a traitor and having to tell an adventure that he, Barbara, the Doctor and Vicki had when they visited the city of Hisk. I like how in the early moments there is a nice little bit of nostalgia and that’s a brief moment before the story moves to Hisk.
The story starts off quite well with a nice atmosphere created by what Ian Potter had written and the music and sound effects used to create this world. William Russell’s wonderful delivery also helped to create a feeling quite early on that this was going to be a fun story. The problem however is that despite the best efforts of everyone involved, the plot isn’t the greatest that it could have been.

I do wish that John Bank would have been given more to do as Gerrard. The character had a scepticism and sinister feel to him that would have been better had he been given more than just an interviewer. The scenes where Gerrard and Ian Chesterton were talking together were fun and was the only real time that there was any spark to the story. The rest of the time it just felt like things were moving along at a rather normal pace which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
There are things that I quite liked about this story but unfortunately for some reason it didn’t click as I would have expected. It’s the last time that William Russell will be involved in the Companion Chronicles range before it finishes in June. Since he first appeared in the range in 2009, I have always found William Russell to be fantastic even when the story hasn’t been on par with his performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment