October 20, 2012

Dragons Wrath (2000)


Dragon’s Wrath is the final story in the first benny series. It is also the first story since the Time Ring trilogy. The story starts off with a slightly dodgy opening with some singing, I call it singing but I don’t think it would get through on X-Factor (then again!) but after that we get into the story and it feels  like the Benny stories before the trilogy. It has an interesting set up before the story sees our favourite heroine involved in drama surrounding an artefact known as the Gamelian Dragon. The thing that I like about this story is that it doesn’t waste any time as the plot moves along. The story sees Benny arrive a dig for a statue that as the plot progress isn’t what is seems. Then there is a mock trial and then we find out that it has something to do with the Knights of Jeneve. I understand that the novel of this story has far more going on than what we get in this audio story. The biggest lose is of Irving Braxiatel. I know that this character would go on to be quite important in the story of Bernice Summerfield but it was probably a wise thing to do to end this first series without the Braxiatel character.
Each story has featured someone from the TV series era of Doctor Who and in one story a future companion. In this story we have Richard Franklin who plays the wonderful Romolo Nusek who plays the villain of the story. The character of Nusek is well thought out and Franklin seems to having a ball playing him. He could have been a bit more a bit more sinister but it was an amusing performance. Lisa Bowerman continues to impress as Bernice. After the somewhat grim circumstances the character was in during ‘Just War’ it was nice to see the old Bernice back. Jane Burke is a good performance as Truby Kamadrich though it was the best of what was otherwise a standard group of characters.

I really liked this story as it was a relatively normal story. After what was a fairly dark story it was inevitable that they would go for what was a more light hearted story however they didn’t go overboard and what we got was an enjoyable adventure which was the shortest of the Bernice stories of the series. I think that it’s the perfect end to what has been a promising series. As I am still relatively new to the Bernice Summerfield I must say that I’m not 100% sold on this range but I think that as the stories and series progress then the stories might get stronger.  Overall I would give the series 7/10 as there was plenty to like though I think in hindsight I would have left the trilogy for another series but that’s my only real gripe with the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment