August 23, 2012

The Uncertainty Principle (2012)


The Uncertainty Principle is the third story in the Zoe trilogy after Echoes Of Grey (August 2010) and The Memory Cheats (September 2011). I haven’t listened to either of those stories recently so I went into this story with a certain amount of confusion and hoped that it wouldn’t effect my enjoyment of this story. The story starts with Zoe still a prisoner who has information she doesn’t think she has. The company are after secrets but there is a loose link into the second Doctor story.  The story sees the TARDIS crew arrive in 2022 at a funeral of someone we didn’t know about, it’s perfectly possible that there are hundreds and thousands of people that we have never met that have some significance so I wasn’t to put off by this so much.

The story takes a gingerly pace in terms of telling the story. In the first part there weren’t any scenes that I could describe as action packed, it just seemed to be consistent. The problem with that is that after a while something has to happen but my main feeling is that it never really seemed to get going. I must admit that I was more than a little confused. It seemed like there was stuff going on but I couldn’t really get into it. The alien menace in this story looks like a Slender Loris with its big eyes but the potential cuteness was quickly dismissed when they were introduced they have the ability to cause quite a displacement. I thought that they were well used.

I can’t quite make my mind up about the idea of Zoe not being able to remember travelling in the TARDIS. It’s nice that they have remained faithful to the what happened to the character but in a way it does feel like a regular brick wall that the story obviously likes to run into. I liked the scenes between Zoe and Jen as I don’t think that it’s been done between mother and daughter but between two very good actresses. I think the character of Jen is an interesting one as she seems to have conflicted feeling towards Zoe, part of her feels tied to the company but as the story moves on I got the feeling that she is warming to Zoe.

There is room for further stories which is something that I am happy about because I think that there is potential for many more stories before it has to be wound up. Unfortunately I don’t think this is the best story of the trilogy but I thought this of Echoes of Grey when I first heard it and changed my opinion later on so my opinion may change later on but on first listen its slightly below par.

Rating : 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment