March 19, 2012

The Dark (2012)

The final part of this second series had a lot riding on it. It had to tell a good story whilst giving the listener a satisfying payoff. The previous story ended with Abbey and Zara being confronted by their daughter who we thought had perished in the first story.

This story is very much a character piece which did put me off at first because I was sort of expecting a big bang explosive ending not a story that we would get in the middle of the series. Once I thought about it I loved the story because it was dealing with something that doesnt get talked about very often and that is that everything has consequences and you have to be accountable for them. The person we thought of Joy tells us this story how she and Marek went from world to world before dieing and that she has a son. The troubling issues about threesomes and stuff like that continued to surface every so often which is possibly the biggest flaw that I can find with the story as I continue to maintain that it doesnt do the series any favours. I also found the fact that Abbey was going to 'get friendly' with Joy's 'son' was a tad bit unnecerary.

The story moves along at a reasonable pace which again was unexpected as this is suppose to be a series finale I was expecting more tension but instead what we got was the four characters moving from place to another and talking alot about how Zara wasnt a good mother and how both Abbey and Zara have been trying to mend their ways. Before I realised what sort of story this was going to be I was wondering when the more dramatic stuff was going to start and just what the threat was. The last ten minutes were absolutley brilliant because it explained what was going on and showed the main characters to be in danger and there didnt seem any way that they could be saved. The fact that Kreekpolt's daughter was happy enough to die on this world knowing what she had done to Abbey and Zara was something that is unusual to listen to but I felt that it make the character more psychotic than we had witnessed before.

In an plot twist which I didnt see coming, we learn that the woman who was pretending to be Joy was infact the daughter of Kreekpolt. The planet they were on was the rain planet that 'The End' and also 'The Chaos Pool' was set on and that the daughter had spent a ton of money making sure that the sisters could get on the planet but not off it. I absolutley loved the ending and its obvious even to a blind spielsnake that there will be a Graceless 3 but how it will be resolved will be very interesting to see. I also liked how Marek was the last voice that we heard. I cant believe I am going to write this considering that I wasnt a Marek fan but I actually missed Fraser James in this story.

As a story I must say that this was the best Graceless story EVER! I found it to be very emotional and the performances were very strong with Janson and Doddington to be on fine form. I always like Susan Brown ever since I saw her in Torchwood and her foray into Big Finish/Doctor Who has always been something entertaining. As a series this is much better than the first. It seems that things had settled down and the characters had been padded out so that they seemed more likeable and the performances were stronger as well. When Series 3 I would like there to be more stories because I think that three isnt long enough and also for different writers to be involved because as much as I enjoy a Simon Guerrier story I think that new and different writers will be able to take this series into different directions. But as it stands I enjoyed this second series and look forward to the third.

No comments:

Post a Comment