September 25, 2011

Closing Time (2011)

The penultimate episode of a series has always been the lead up to the final episode. So Closing Time somewhat stands out as it is a single contained episode. It also features the Cybermen in their first proper episode since the 2008 story ‘The Next Doctor’. I was dreading this episode if I’m honest because I can’t stand James Corden. I think he is possible the least funniest person in existence. There are bowls of salmonella that are funnier than him and every time I see him on screen I just want to throw something at the TV. Right with my stance on Corden clearly defined. Lets move on with the story. So this is set sometime after the events of The Lodger. Craig is now a dad. Written by Gareth Roberts (author of The Lodger), this story takes place in a department store where the Doctor has become an employee.

As much as I really cant stand James Corden, I find myself actually quite liking him in this episode. He doesn’t come across nearly as annoying as he does in real life. I thought the baby was a nice touch (cant believe I’m writing these words!). It was a nice long running joke of how the Doctor was talking to the baby and translating what he was saying to Craig. It was a good thing as well that they ditched the pushchair because it was becoming a hindrance and slowed things down a bit. The build up to the Cybermen is done quite well. Their first appearance in the episode is very good and did make me jump. Then the scene where the Doctor and Craig are in the lift and they see the Cyberman walking toward them was also another superbly played scene.

The thing that stands out about this episode is the first appearance of the Cybermat. The last time we saw one in Doctor Who was in Revenge of the Cybermen some 36 years ago. I thought the 21st century design was very good and whilst when it moved it did resemble a toy when it got its teeth out it did look quite scary and the scene where they are trying to kill it is a wonderfully dramatic moment. The Doctor running through the glass window was unusually James Bond like for the Doctor. I did like how the whilst being a stand alone story and getting the story in, it does manage to tie in with things we know happen in The Impossible Astronaut. He is given the hat by Craig, the Doctor takes the blue envelopes that everyone opens.

This episode is pretty much companion free as Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill make a cameo appearance. They are seen just be in the same shop that the Doctor is working in and Amy signs a kids book or whatever. There is a lovely moment where the Doctor contemplates going up to them but decides not to. When I was watching this episode I did actually want them to talk to each other but actually on reflection it was probably a good thing they didn’t as it would have ruined the moment and the flow between the Doctor and Craig.

If I had one issue with this episode then it is that we are expected to believe that the Cybermen could build a relatively small base without anyone noticing. I think that it is stretching credibility a little bit. Also I think that Cybermen weren’t in it as much as I would have liked. I think that as one of the most popular monsters in Doctor Who it would be nice to see them in a two-parter but that’s a minor niggle and no fault of Gareth Roberts.

Lynda Baron steals the show for me. This is her third appearance in Doctor Who and whilst not on par with Enlightenment it is easily the nicest performance in the episode. She just pops up every 10 minutes or so and makes the joke that the Doctor and Craig are a couple. I just wish there was more of her than there was. James Corden is also quite good and does well to fill the companion role in the absence of Gillan and Darvill. I think that his ability to show that he is a good actor does lead me to wonder why he continues to be like a wally-brain in public. His on screen chemistry with Matt Smith is one of the things that I like in this episode. I think that it feels natural and like they are good friends. Smith himself is also very good and I think that his Doctor really has come on leaps and bounds over the last couple of episodes.

The final scene with River Song and Madame Kovarian (Frances Barber) is a very good scene and fits a lot in such a small amount of time. We learn that it is River that is in the astronaut outfit that we see in The Impossible Astronaut and the episode ends with River in the outfit in the sea. Presumably to wait for the moment to come out and kill the Doctor. This might be a massive red herring but only time will tell.

Closing Time is another good episode and whilst its not as dark or dramatic as previous episodes, its still a fun episode and the best use of Cybermen for quite sometime. I think that the final scene of this episode was the best because it basically sets up whats going to happen in the first episode and maybe this Lost theme of telling a story will disappear next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment