August 29, 2011

Immortal Sin (2011)

Well it had to happen sooner or later but it gives me no pleasure to say that Torchwood has hit rock bottom. This story is the living embodiment of padding. It’s 95% padding and 5% of entertainment which is a shame because just when the show needs to step up in pace it hits the breaks and bores me to death. At the end of the previous episode, Gwen is told via those contact lens thing that someone has her family and they want her to bring Jack. She does this and we get another bit of back story about Jack in America in 1927. Now the story features some of the most graphic sex scenes in Torchwood and to be honest it was at this point that the fault of this episode became apparent.

At the 15 minute mark when they were rolling around and then talking I was just thinking to myself if anything was going to happen. But then I think to myself that something will happen in a minute but no we get more boring stuff and then it flicks back to Gwen and Jack and that is how it goes for most of the story and it was only the car stuff that was of any interest. I was really bored by this entire episode as it was clear that someone was trying to fill the majority of the episode before the main purpose of the episode. The 1927 stuff was all very dull and just consisted of Jack and Angelo having a relationship in a time when homosexuality could lead to imprisonment and whilst it’s a nice reminder to societies attitude to homosexuality in the 1920’s the point of this was hammered home a bit too much the story got bogged down in stuff it didn’t need to.

I thought that the stuff with the torture would have been totally wrong in any other episode but in this one was a welcome relief. It was where every man and their dog was given the chance to stabbing and doing horrible things to Jack. This was started by Angelo who had seen Jack killed and obviously didn’t realise he’s immortal. Now this was ok until Jack runs away with him. Now if someone had done that to me I wouldn’t want to run away with them no matter what my feelings were for them. This was another dumb plot move which joins a lot list.

It seemed that they could have structured the episode better and not have Gwen’s family rescued in five minutes when they could easily have spent a good half of the episode trying to free them. They were all at home, now yet again this is another piece of lazy writing/thinking. Why not take them to a secret location instead of just leaving them at home. Also it can’t have been that big a thing if the people guarding them were a bit feeble. It’s stuff like this that really annoys me and shows that the series could have been cut down by a couple of episodes.

The main revelation of the episode was it was this Angelo bloke that wanted Jack and I was annoyed that I had to sit through the entire episode for just that snippet of information. I was annoyed because I think the series is starting to go off the boil and this was the second episode where there was no Bill Pullman and it was more noticeable that the previous episode. I think that this was the worst episode of Torchwood ever and despite the brief mention of the Doctor it was a woeful padding filler and left me very angry which isn’t something that I have felt since watching Love and Monsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment