July 15, 2011

Forever (2011)

Forever is the final story in what has been a truly impressive season. This story was written by David Wise who is a name that I never heard of before but according to Wikipedia, Wise has written for Buck Rogers, Transformers (animated) and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. This story sees the regulars arrive in a version of Gallifrey where they have been trying to work on time travel. This version suffers greatly from assassinations as their Romana is assisnated within minutes arriving. I was quite worried at first that ‘our’ Romana was just going to be pretending that she is the real Romana but thankfully this wasn’t the case. What this story deals with is Romana trying to change things for the better and there is a sense that she is trying to do what the Doctor would normally do.

The story picked up a great deal when Carole Ann Ford got involved. I didn’t realise for a few moments that it was her but as Unit 190. I do think it was a bit of an odd role to give her. I think that the other big names were given more substantial roles and she really was given the short hand in this one. That said when she is involved in the story she is good. The conclusion of the story sees the departure of K9. For someone who doesn’t really like that Tin Dog, I found the scene to be quite sad. I think that over the last couple of stories I have grown to like him. Lalla Ward was really superb in this and I think its her best story this is purely because she comes to the realisation that in every version she has been in she has pretty much destroyed the inhabitants. This is mirror to what happens to the Doctor when he tries to help but lifes end up being lost. Louise Jameson is also very (as she has been all series). Now that her sight has returned she is back to her very best and I liked it when after K9 had gone that she was angry and shouted at Romana. This was Leela at her best and was a brave way to end the series. With the characters unwillingly settling down on this version of Gallifrey it’s the most suitable way to end the series and brings to a close a good story.

Forever isn’t quite the finale that I think that it should have been but to be honest its still a good story and it was satisfying conclusion to the series. Hopefully now that I have caught up with the series it wont be five years before the next series. Overall this series has been the best. I get the impression that some might not be so keen on it as it doenst have the complexity of the previous series but to be honest they can go back and listen to the previous series because I thoroughly enjoyed this and was just disappointed that its taken me four months to get through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment