May 29, 2011

The Almost People (2011)

Well at the conclusion of the previous episode we had the predictable appearance of the Doctor-ganger. Part two of this Matthew Graham story is one that deals with the Gangers trying to kill their originals and get off the island to meet up with other gangers. The story moves at a fairly standard pace but I did find it flagging about half way through. I don’t really care about the gangers and we learn nothing about what they intend to do. Ok there is an issue about how the gangers are treated and its clear that Rory is confused as to what to do but at the end of the day there is nothing really special about them and that bothers me. I think that if your going to play the oppressed group then there should be something more about you.

I did like Sarah Smart and Raquel Cassidy. Both put in stunning performances and as a big fan of Cassidy’s I thought that she did really well. Having a character that has a clot is something that leads the viewer to believe she wont make it and neither will her ganger. Thankfully the real Cleaves is given something to get rid of it. I thought that Sarah Smart has been consistently brilliant throughout the two episodes as the character (Jennifer) is the driving force behind the ganger resistance. Having seen the group of discarded Jennifiers it solidifies her view and why she’s angry whereas the others seem to only be half bothered. I did like having two Doctors as this provided a rare moment where he interacts with himself and quite like the two Amy’s in the Comic Relief special back in March, it provides a bit of light relief. I thought the use of ‘Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow’ and ‘Would You Like a Jelly Baby’ were meant for classic fans and certainly struck a cord with me. It was difficult though trying to work out who was the real Doctor and who was the fake. This was an issue that I had with the previous episode and it was something that cropped up in this episode. At the end of this episode I had just stopped caring and it gave me the opinion that this story wasn’t working for me.

I thought that his story was Arthur Darvill’s best performance. He has had to play the dummy role in previous stories but in this one gives a stunning performance. I actually thought that Karen Gillan put in a different type of performance. Presented with two Doctor’s who have the same physical appearance and also (presumably) the same memories, she chooses one over the other. She doesn’t like the other Doctor because he’s ‘different’ which doesn’t seem like Amy but it’s a nice different side to the character.

Having watched Matt Smith on the BBC show ‘The One Show’ I was expecting something big coming at the end of this episode and it happened. We learn that Amy is actually a ganger and she disperses into goo. The revelation that Amy is in some sort of tank about to give birth was quite a dark moment. I know that the series was suppose to be dark but this goes really dark. Then the ‘cyclops’ lady appears like she has done throughout previous episodes this series. It is a fantastic lead into the final story of this half of the series and I cant wait for next week.

I have to say that overall the two-parter was ok. Nothing worse and nothing special. I have to say that it was a vast improvement on Fear Her but compared to previous stories its not one of my favourites. It’s a story of two sides, one being the ganger stuff and the other being the last five minutes which was fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment