January 05, 2011

The Gunfighters (1966)

The Gunfighters is a terrible story. Sorry to be so blunt but its true. Whether it’s the woeful story or that irritating ‘Last Chance Saloon’ tune that plays constantly throughout the entire thing. It’s a shame really as the idea of Doctor Who landing in the Wild West is quite an interesting one but sadly its all thrown away for a stupid tune and a dull story.

The story sees the Doctor, Steven and Dodo arrive in the Wild West where the Doctor needs to find a dentist after breaking a tooth on a sweet in the previous story. Soon the Doctor is mistakened for Doc Holliday. Steven and Dodo seem to be having fun which is more that what I was having when I was watching this. They both get to dress up as cowboys and do yankee accents. As a result of many other things destracting me I didn’t find Dodo to be half as irritating as she normally is. That has to be a first (and last) that I felt like that. Peter Purves does well as part of this double act and whilst its not his best outing he does ok with what he’s expected to do.

I’ve heard a few people say that one of the reasons the story is not great is because of trying to realise a Wild West setting on a miniscule BBC budget. That’s nonscene. The sets are the only good thing that I think that there is in the entire production. I think that given the restrictions of the budget and fitting the entire thing in a studio the producers should be praised.

The Gunfighters is defintley one of my least favourite stories and it would be a fight between this, Underworld and The Twin Dilemma to fight out for the worst. That said I think that it has to be watched to be believed and if you can get through all four episodes in one sitting then a) congratulations and b) try Underworld.

No comments:

Post a Comment