October 13, 2010

Deimos (2010)

Still on a high from listening to the Book of Kells. I ploughed straight into Deimos which sees the return of the Ice Warriors. This would be the fourth time in two years that they have been used by Big Finish making them the fourth most used creation. The story is set on Deimos which is a moon of Mars where there is a Moonbase which is a museum. On Deimos is a iomiser which was created to return Mars back to how it was but the plan was scrapped, now the Ice Warriors are taking it and going to return Mars to how they knew it despite that the colonists on Mars will be killed.

The story has some nice moments which work well in a story that has a quick pace to it. In fact I was surprised when it got to the half way point because I didn’t realise that the time had gone so quickly. There is a slight problem that I have and that is with the David Warner character. It’s made clear quite early on that he is in cahoots with the Ice Warrior or has positive feelings for him. The justification that he gives is just silly. It just totally spoils what is otherwise a fine episode. David Warner was otherwise very good in this and it was nice to hear him in a proper Doctor Who adventure. Another big name was Tracy-Ann Oberman as Temperance Finch. She is probably best known as Yvonne Hartmen from the Doctor Who two parter Army of Ghosts/Doomsday in 2006 and also for killing Den Watts in the BBC soap Eastenders. Her character was in this story was pretty typical. I didn’t find it particularly bland or dull but neither was it original.

Like the Book of Kells, the cliffhanger shocked me. I did not see it coming (again) and as the theme music played my mouth was left wide open (again). It might have something to do with not realising how much time had passed but something made me react like that. My opinion of this series has changed greatly. I have gone from fearing that this final series was going to be a dud to thinking it might be the best yet. This is also the best story for Tamsin so far. I thought her best line was the cluedo line which seemed to be an ad lib because it seemed like a totally improve line. Nicky Wardley is becoming a great companion with each passing story.

As the first part of a two part story, I can’t judge it properly. However as a single episode its one of the best. It lays the ground work and we will have to wait and see whether the whole story is going to work. Jonathan Morris (author) has done really well with the story that isn’t complicated and has a nice setting with nice characters. Barnaby Edwards does another great job as the director keeping the momentum going. I really can’t wait for the next instalment.

No comments:

Post a Comment