December 13, 2009

Plague of the Daleks (2009)

The final of the Stockbridge Trilogy sees the Fifth Doctor and Nyssa thrown into the future after the time bubble thingy in The Eternal Summer. This story also sees the third time that the Daleks have been used in 2009. I have liked how the stories have bled into each other. This story is the full story debut script from Mark Morris who wrote one of the stories from Forty-Five in 2008.

In many ways this story is a traditional adventure. The Doctor and Nyssa are separated for most of this story. The Doctor was paired off with Issac Barclay and Nyssa is paired with Lysette Barclay. It’s the characters that I was particularly impressed with in this story. Keith Barron was very good as Issac and the way he interacted with the Doctor reminded me of Stein in Resurrection of the Daleks. Barron who previously appeared in Enlightenment back in 1983 and his voice is ideal for radio and gave the character a friendly feel to it. Liza Tarbuck did a similar job as Lysette. In fact the revelation that she was a sort of RoboDalek was quite a shock.

I thought the idea of a Zombie plot was quite fun. However the idea of rain water turning people into Zombie just weeks after Waters of Mars was perhaps just a case of bad timing. I also thought that the Doctor’s Dalek voice was quite entertaining. It did slightly confuse me how if the Doctor was being changed did he manage to then act like nothing happened a few moments later. Then it became clear he was just trying to con the Daleks. Peter Davison put in another great performance and seemed to revel in having the opportunity of playing a different Doctor like he did in The Eternal Summer. Sarah Sutton was on usual good form, it was good that she was able to become the driving force of the events at times.

Out of the three Stockbridge plays its not the best and perhaps a bit of an anticlimax. Ultimately the story would have benefited without the Daleks as their part in this story wasn’t really what I had hoped. Also out of the three Dalek stories we’ve had this year it is also the poorest of the three. Don’t get me wrong its not that I think it’s a poor story , just that it wasn’t the ending to this mini series that I was expecting. I have enjoyed this Stockbridge Trilogy, not knowing anything of it before didn’t really hamper my enjoyment. I think these three adventures were better for the Fifth Doctor than the Key 2 Time series at the beginning of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment